About Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is a disease in which a malignant tumour develops in the cells of the breast. A malignant tumour is a group of cancer cells that can invade the surrounding tissues or spread to distant areas of the body.
In Singapore, one out of 11 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime. Some signs and symptoms of breast cancer may include:
- A breast lump in the breast
- Change in the size, shape or appearance of a breast
- Changes to the skin over the breast, such as dimpling or redness
- Nipple retraction (turning inwards)
- Nipple discharge
If you are 20 years old and above, it is advisable for you to do a monthly breast self-examination. This is an important first step in discovering any unusual lumps or changes in your breasts.
The best time to do breast self-examination is about 7 to 10 days after the start of your menses, when the breasts are the least tender. If you discover lumps or other unusual signs in your breasts, please see a doctor promptly.
Breast Cancer Screening
If you are 40 years old and above, it is advisable for you to go for a mammogram screening annually.
The mammogram is currently the most reliable screening tool for breast cancer. It can detect and diagnose issues in the breast even for women who have no symptoms.
From 1 Oct 2018 to 31 Jan 2019 , a mammogram screening at CIH will cost $99^ (excluding GST) if you meet the following criteria:
- you are a female Singaporean or Permanent Resident
- you are aged 50* and above and have not done a mammogram in the past 24 months
- you have not been breast feeding for the past 6 months
- you are not pregnant
- you do not have any breast implants
- you do not have any history of Breast Cancer
- you are asymptomatic or have no Breast Cancer symptoms
*If you’re female and aged 40-49, you can screen for Breast Cancer but you should first talk to your doctor about the benefits and limitations of mammograms for your age group so that you can make an informed choice about going for screening.
To find out more or make an appointment for breast screening, please contact us at 6933 3722 or email
24-Hour Hotline : +65 6933 3722
Whatsapp Appointment: +65 8333 2828
Online Appointment: https://cih.com.sg/make-an-appointment/